Many people spend a lot of time researching the handguns they purchase, but hardly ever give as much thought to the holster that houses it.
However, a well-made holster is a vital carrying accessory for your firearm. It provides safety, convenience and protection, and it also helps you keep your piece concealed, yet accessible, as needed.
Depending on the type of firearm you carry, there are a wide variety of holster options available on the market today.
Why Is It Crucial to Have a Well-Made Holster?
Some gun owners might think that purchasing a custom, quality-made holster isn’t a huge deal because all holsters are the same. Yet, this couldn’t be further from the truth.
In fact, finding the right quality holster for your needs is critical.
Purchasing a reliable holster can be a daunting experience if you don’t know the advantages of finding the right one. At first glance, the majority of holsters may look great and appear to fit your needs. However, it is when you start to use them that the obvious differences start to emerge.
Here are the top 10 reasons why we believe you should consider investing in a well-made, quality holster:
- Holsters cover the trigger guard. If you place a gun in anyone’s hand, it is likely that his or her index finger will immediately find the trigger. Holsters prevent your gun from accidentally going off.
- They provide security. Whether you choose to carry concealed or not, holsters keep your gun secure, stable and firmly in place.
- Holsters keep you prepared. Holsters prevent you from having to constantly load and unload your weapon at the start or the end of each day. With a holster, you can comfortably leave your gun loaded and ready.
- They aid in concealment. There are a variety of holsters that are specially designed to help you carry your piece seamlessly.
- They provide extra comfort. Holsters help you remain comfortable as you carry your weapon around, while also keeping your gun accessible and close to your body.
- Holsters provide protection from the elements. Holsters help protect your gun from rain, snow and moisture, which can all be incredibly damaging to the beautiful finish and overall quality of your firearm. Humidity and sweat also can cause your gun to deteriorate prematurely, especially if it is continuously exposed to damp conditions.
- They offer safety features. Holsters offer you protection from accidental discharge, especially those models that are equipped with various types of safety features.
- Holsters provide peace of mind. They help you keep your weapon close by in case of an emergency.
- They offer support. Well-made holsters help protect and support your piece as you carry it or keep it in your safe.
- They help in stressful situations. Holsters keep your gun in a consistent position and safe orientation so you can draw it effectively, even in stressful situations.
So What Actually Makes For a Good Holster?
When you select a well-made holster, it is important to ensure it has:
- Sturdy material.
- Complete trigger coverage.
- Concealability and good retention.
- Gun protection.
- Body protection.
- A positive grip.
Are You Looking For a Dependable, Durable Holster?
When it comes to what holster is best for your needs, there is no quick answer. Much of your choice depends on the type of gun you carry, where you carry it, the kind of clothing you wear and how comfortable you are with your piece.
However, at the end of the day, a quality, well-made holster simply performs better.
Keep in mind that you want a well-made holster that securely holds your gun yet also fully covers the trigger guard for safety. You also want your holster to be comfortable and easy to access.
That old saying, “you get what you pay for,” is relevant when it comes to holsters. Honestly, there is substantial risk of using a poorly constructed holster. While a bargain holster may save you a few bucks up front, it can negate the overall value of your gun, as well as your investment in training and practice.
Our custom-made leather holsters are made to fit your firearms. Each holster is constructed one at a time by professionals, from start to finish, using leather that sets the standard by which the industry is graded. For more information in the various types of holsters read our blog post on inside the waistband versus outside the waistband holsters.